Sunday, April 13, 2008

Some War Inc Articles

A couple of interesting tidbits about War, Inc.

From the Boston Globe:

A scene from the upcoming dark comedy "War, Inc." in which pop tart Hilary Duff handles a live scorpion has been scorching its way across the Internet, and the film's director, Joshua Seftel, couldn't be more amused. "It was shown when [the movie's co-writer/star] John Cusack was on Jimmy Kimmel's show, and then it was just out in the world," said Seftel, a Tufts alum who spends a couple of weeks each month working at WGBH for "Nova" and other projects. "You can't plan these things." It's been a nice boost for "War, Inc." which premieres at the Tribeca Film Festival April 28. The film - about a US company hired to run a Middle Eastern country - also stars Ben Kingsley, Marisa Tomei, and Cusack's sister Joan. "It's really been a charmed experience for me," said Seftel of making the film. As for Duff, who seems to shed her nice-girl image in this role, Seftel said: "It was even more brave for her to tackle this role than that scorpion."

*

From News.com.au:

HILARY Duff has taken on a raunchy role in a new flick, shooting a provocative scene with a deadly scorpion and a man with his hand down her pants.

Duff, who will no doubt shed her good girl image after this naughty role, plays the part of a "slutty" pop star in the John Cusack film, War, Inc.

Cusack handpicked the pretty star for the drama, which satirises war profiteers.

"She played a pop idol from central Asia. So, she was like a Hilary but not Hilary, because Hilary is so classy, but like a real, and I won't name names, but a real slutty pop star. ... Hilary is the opposite of that, of course. I think for her to play that, or to parody that, was really great," Cusack told MTV.

"I think probably people wouldn't know how talented she is. I mean, she's a great actress. I just spent the entire fall with her and she was a revelation every day. I don't think people know that yet, but they're gonna."

Hilary also reveals she was reluctant to play the part of a singer, in fear of being typecast, report MTV.

"He (agent) was like, 'I got this script, John Cusack wrote it,' " Duff told MTV. "And I was like, 'Really? That's awesome, I love John.' But then he says, 'But you'd have to play a pop star.' And I was like, 'Oh nooooooooooo. I don't want to play a pop star. I don't want to sing!' "

"Nobody thought I could do anything different," she said. "It was tough for a while. I was stuck in this bubble of Hilary Duff, and no one was really taking a chance on me. So I was like, 'I'll just make the record, because I'm not going to do another movie like that.' I wanted to challenge myself or not do it."