Sunday, March 19, 2006

Miley Cyrus - Hannah Montana

The next Hilary Duff? The people at Disney have been trying to find someone who could fill that role for some time now, and they just might have found her. Her name is Miley Cyrus, the daughter of country music one-hit-wonder Billy Ray Cyrus.

Miley is the star of the Disney Channel's newest show. It's called "Hannah Montana" and it's about a girl who lives a double life as a pop star/normal girl. Billy Ray is also in the show, he plays Hannah's father. Yeah, it sounds cheesy but what would you expect from Disney.

Obviously since the show is about a pop star, it gives Disney a great opportunity to promote Miley as a singer. I was curious about this girl, so I downloaded the song that they are pushing for the new show. As much as I hate to admit it, this girl has talent. She can sing. I really like her voice. It's very unique; kind of deep and a little raspy. And the song ("Who Said") is VERY catchy. It has kind of a country / rock / pop blend. It also has a positive message (hmm, where have we seen that before?).

As far as the TV show goes: It's 100% obvious to me that the character of Hannah Montana is based on Hilary Duff. Watch the video for the song... Hannah Montana's band has a female, African-American drummer with crazy hair. I wonder where they came up with that idea.

I don't think the show looks that great, but I think Miley has a LOT of potential. She just may be the next Hilary Duff. She has the look, can sing, comes from a showbiz family, and seems likable. I never watch the Disney channel, but I might have to check out this show just to see how much Hilary/Lizzie influence there is.