Friday, August 18, 2006

Material Girls - My Review - Low Budget Fun

I was a little worried watching the first couple of scenes of Material Girls. The opening scene shows the girls walking through a club (with Play With Fire on in the background) and talking to various people. The problem was that I could hardly hear what they were saying. I don't know if this was only a problem at my theater, but the sound was very low. This was just the first of many signs that show this movie was shot on a tight budget. The film was very grainy, like one of those ancient school filmstrips - if they even use those anymore. The movie seemed very raw and unpolished. But once it got going it seemed to pick up steam.

As much as Hilary is trying to be different with her roles, Material Girls is almost exactly like all of her other movies. Her character is the same nice, smart, poor little rich girl that she always plays. Hilary obviously has a lot of experience playing this type of part, and I was pretty happy with her performance. The camera still loves her even with her "new look". Both Hilary and Haylie looked amazing in this movie. Hilary has always been "cute" in her movies, but in Material Girls she is sexy, wearing some very short skirts and showing off some cleavage.

One of the things I was a little concerned about was how Haylie would perform in a starring role. Haylie doesn't have as much experience in leading roles as Hilary, so I was a little worried, but she did a good job.

I think Material Girls could have been great, but the low budget probably hurt it a little bit. The movie is unpolished, and the pacing was off at times. There are times where scenes drag on needlessly and some of the jokes fell flat.

I don't want to go into details about the plot of the movie - you probably pretty much know it by now. I will give the standard "if you liked Hilary's other movies you'll probably like this one also". If you are a Hilary fan it's definitely worth seeing. It's not exactly hilarious, but there are a few good laughs, and there are also some touching moments. What else would you expect from a Hilary Duff movie?

Tags: , , ,